Welcome to our weekly Foodie Friday link up! I’m linking up with Annmarie from the Fit Foodie Mama, Emily from Whatever Floats Your Oats, Esther from Chocolate Runner Girl, and Cassandra from Powered By Bling, to create awesome healthy recipes each week!
Today’s theme = Spring! Make sure you hop around to check out all the amazing recipes in this link up and feel free to add your recipes as well! I have something cool to offer today!
Last fall, whilst dreaming up
a billion 50 different recipes to make an ebook for my brother’s company, Venice Kitchen, I insisted on healthifying most of the recipes in said ebook, because as I like to put it, “I refused to contribute to an unhealthier America.”
Although he was initially somewhat unhappy with/concerned about this because he was of the belief that healthy food wouldn’t taste good (…). I’ve since rectified this misconception with him!
I’m giving away 3 sets of Venice Kitchen Silicone Baking Cups to my readers because you’ve all been so awesome! <3 (See my review of them!) Open to U.S. residents (I’m sorry to my non-U.S. readers! :[ ), and it ends on 04/27/15 at midnight!
I first learned about the existence of hummingbird cupcakes from my first study buddy in med school. Back in the early days of first-year, I used to study with my neighbor for hours on end. At some point during our marathon study sessions, he mentioned once that he wasn’t a fan of sweets, but that hummingbird cupcakes were his exception. Intrigued, I looked them up, and they sounded amazing, so I figured…why not try to make them (a healthified version, that is!)? :]
Originally, I was going to make these for his birthday in the spring, but we divorced each other as study buddies and I saw him a whole lot less in second semester. (Don’t worry, nothing terrible happened!) We’re still friends, but I knew that he liked someone and didn’t want to be a cockblock/figured she probably wouldn’t like the fact that I spent anywhere upwards of 6-12 hours with him every day, so I peaced out and started studying in the catacombs.) They are now married and have a daughter together, so clearly, I made a good decision.
But here are the cupcakes! :O
- 1/2 cup pineapple tidbits
- 1/2 cup bananas, mashed
- 2 tbsp vanilla soy milk (or your choice of milk)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/3 cup almonds, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 24 pieces of canned mandarin oranges
- Plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
- Honey (or your choice of sweetener), to taste
- (Cupcakes) Preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients into a large bowl and mix well.
- Pour into baking cups + bake for 20 minutes, or until it passes the toothpick test.
- Let cupcakes cool for 10 minutes before frosting.
- (Frosting) Combine yogurt with honey and gently mix.
- Farrah | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Annmarie | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Emily | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Esther | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Cassandra | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
Join us next week for Favorite Food Makeovers!