Welcome to our weekly Foodie Friday link up! I’m linking up with Montana from Pretty Lil Mudder, Annmarie from the Fit Foodie Mama, Emily from Whatever Floats Your Oats, Esther from Chocolate Runner Girl, and Cassandra from Powered By Bling, to create awesome healthy recipes each week! Today’s theme = Holiday Baking Traditions! Make sure you hop around to check out all the amazing recipes in this link up and feel free to add your recipes as well!
As far as traditions go, my family never really bakes anything. Our oven is mostly used in the same way as our dishwasher. We use it to store baking trays, so alas, we actually do not have any real food “traditions” that we follow for the holidays! I also don’t actually get to go home this year for said holidays, so I am instead making up my own traditions of at least baking something for the holiday season!
I’ve been getting along rather well with everyone at the IM office (I’m on my Internal Medicine rotation right now), and I think one of them overheard me while I was talking to one of the patients. I’d mentioned that I was planning to go volunteer at a cat shelter over the weekend after Christmas/spend time with Linda there because she’s pretty much become my family out here, and I think she asked my preceptor to let me have the 26th off because she knew I didn’t get to go home this year/probably wouldn’t see my family in California til August or September of next year, at the earliest.
As I was leaving today, she said, “Now, don’t hate me, but…you don’t have to come in next Friday if you want to spend more time over there. No one should be alone for the holidays!”
That was incredibly sweet of her. <3 They came across a really delicious-sounding Italian Cream Cake earlier in the week, and I’m going to try to make a healthified version this weekend to bring into the office on Monday! <3
- 1 box brownie mix (or your favorite brownie recipe, e.g. try out the Athletic Avocado’s recipe <3)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp peppermint extract(Topping)
- fresh strawberries
- Greek yogurt mixed with a drizzle of honey (to taste)
- peppermint candies, crushed
- Combine brownie mix with eggs, applesauce, and water, then bake brownies according to package instructions.
- Cut off stems of strawberries and dip the bottom in a generous amount of Greek yogurt. Place strawberry on top of the brownie.
- Spoon a tiny dollop of Greek yogurt onto the tip of the strawberry. Sprinkle crushed peppermint candies on top of brownie.
- Serve immediately!
Interested in getting to know more about any of your super-awesome co-hosts? :]
- Farrah | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Montana | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Annmarie | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Emily | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Esther | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Cassandra | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
Join us next week for Holiday Dinner!