Break Out of Breakfast Boredom: Cooks aren’t always pressed for time in the mornings – they just need new ideas. Think mug cakes, smoothie bowls, breakfast cookies and more. Show us the healthy way you wake up your breakfast – or wake up just for breakfast!
I’m totally not a morning person (especially these days, when I have to leave the house by 4:45 a.m.), but if I had something like this waiting for me every morning, I don’t think I’d mind as much! 😛
My friends and I planned a day (yesterday) to make a whole ton of food! We used to live together in college, but ever since I disappeared to the other side of the country for grad school and then med school, spending any time together has been drastically reduced.
As such, our indoor food adventures are usually to make up for all the months/years we didn’t get to spend cooking with each other. We had 6 different recipes on our “menu,” the first of which are these smoothie bowls!
These are our smoothie bowls before we put in the toppings! (Or at least, just as we started adding the toppings.) You’ll notice that one of em’ is green! :O There’s a recipe for that one down below too! :]
Meet our cactus, Spiny McSpinerson! He stabbed us at least twice during this process so we exiled him to a corner until we needed him to come back to hang out with our bowls.
Feel free to go to town on the toppings for these bowls! I listed what we used in the ingredients section, but if we’d had chia seeds, hemp hearts, ground flax seed, unsweetened coconut flakes, other fruits/nuts…we could’ve added those too!
Wanna find out how to make these bowls? Check out the recipe below! :] The banana berry smoothie base only takes 3 ingredients!
Banana Berry Smoothie Bowls
- 1 ripe banana
- 1½ cup frozen berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
(Green Smoothie Base)
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup mixed greens or baby spinach (for a greater )
- 1 kiwi
- 1 banana
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- drizzle of honey
- Diced (kiwis, strawberries, mangoes)
- Sliced (bananas)
- As is (blackberries; we meant to use blueberries too)
- Rolled oats
- Coconut oil (if it’s solid, stick it in the microwave for 5-10 seconds to melt it before drizzling it over each bowl)
- Blend all the smoothie base ingredients together into desired consistency and scoop into a bowl. (If it’s too liquid-y, stick it in the freezer for a little while.)
- Add your desired toppings and serve!
Here are some more shots of the individual bowls in all their glory! In case you’re wondering, this is the first time I ever had my hands on a DSLR camera, and holy crud, they are magical. :O I was kinda excited, hence all the tons of food photos. <3
We got the idea for the coconut oil topping because of a pit stop I made at Berry Divine Acai Bowls during my explorations in Sedona. My friends passed by about a month later whilst helping one of our friends move back to California, so I recommended the place to them!
Coconut oil is in liquid form when it gets to warm enough temperatures, but when it’s super cold, it turns solid! If you want to melt some to drizzle onto your bowl, you can just scoop a little into a bowl and stick it into the microwave for ~5-10 seconds!
Don’t have time just yet to make these? Not to worry–pin this for later!
Did you know that this week is National Pancake Week? Make sure you stop by for Foodie Friday later this week! :] Sneak preview below!
- Are you a morning person?
- Have you ever had a smoothie bowl?
- What’s your favorite “breakfast” food?