Welcome to our weekly Foodie Friday link up! I’m linking up with Annmarie from the Fit Foodie Mama, Emily from Whatever Floats Your Oats, Esther from Chocolate Runner Girl, and Cassandra from Powered By Bling, to create awesome healthy recipes each week!
Today’s theme = Favorite Food Makeover! Make sure you hop around to check out all the amazing recipes in this link up and feel free to add your recipes as well!
This one was actually a little difficult for me, only because I have a tonnnnn of different favorite foods. (But I guess in that respect, it’s also not so hard, because…I can make pretty much anything.)
Confession: I’m still working on finishing off my brown rice stores from…when I first started medical school. I still have a lot left, and I assure you, I’ve been working diligently on them! ;_;
So I’m taking this opportunity to share with you a random dish I threw together while I was living with my friend last month. We were on a mission to use up a crap ton of stuff, since both of us are moving out of our apartments soon-ish (within the next 3 months), and mark my words, we’re gonna get there!
For instance, we’ve made considerable progress on the granola–She had 3 bags, and I had…10 bags of granola (this is why I can’t justify making my own granola yet) and left with 3. Granted, this was because I gave one away and also made us eat granola with Greek yogurt every morning, but…as I said, progress!
I like using day-old rice for this, but it generally works out either way (although the consistency is a little better with day-old rice)! You can leave out the chicken if you want to make it a vegetarian dish! Like I said, I’m trying to use everrrrrything up.
Coconut Curry Rice with Grilled Asparagus
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 bag frozen veggies, slightly thawed
- 1-2 tbsp curry paste
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1-2 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1 can shredded chicken
- 1 bunch asparagus
- sriracha (to taste)
- Add curry paste, coconut milk, garlic powder, ground ginger, and brown rice to a rice cooker. Give it a good stir, then press start. (Or cook however you’d normally cook rice without a rice cooker…)
- When rice is done, set aside.
- Crack 2 eggs into a pan, then mix in vegetables and rice. Let cook, mixing periodically, until eggs have cooked. Add in chicken
- Wash asparagus, cut off the ends, and place them in a row on a Foreman grill. Let cook for ~5-8 minutes, or until tender but still with a bit of a snap to it.
- Top with sriracha and serve!
- How is it already almost the middle of April? Catch up on life with me at this month’s Ultimate Coffee Date!
- April is Alcohol Awareness Month! Learn more about the signs, symptoms, possible complications, and treatment associated with Alcohol Abuse.
- If you could take a trip anywhere for a fitness getaway, where would you go? Find out my ideal place on this week’s Dish the Fit!
- Have you heard of Sara Forte’s The Sprouted Kitchen – Bowl + Spoon? Read up on my review of her new cookbook and get the recipe for her Tropical Smoothie Bowl!
- I finished up my elective in inpatient Family Medicine fairly recently–check out my reflections on the rotation and the specialty! :]
Interested in getting to know more about any of your super-awesome co-hosts? :]
- Farrah | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Annmarie | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Emily | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Esther | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Cassandra | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
Join us next week for Grilled Cheese!
(Psst. Did you enter my giveaway yet?)