Welcome to our weekly Foodie Friday link up! I’m linking up with Annmarie from the Fit Foodie Mama, Emily from Whatever Floats Your Oats, Esther from Chocolate Runner Girl, and Cassandra from Powered By Bling, to create awesome healthy recipes each week! Today’s theme = Copycat Recipes! Make sure you hop around to check out all the amazing recipes in this link up and feel free to add your recipes as well!
I mentioned Yelping in Best Restaurants in Town…I started in 2008 for two reasons:
- To remember the awesome places that I’d gone to before
- To tell others about said awesome places
It somewhat pains my soul that I’ve still never been to a Yelp Elite event, but mark my words–I will someday!
Out of all the places I’ve been to, my favorite eatery in the country is…a food truck. Specifically, SouperVan! (I talked about them a lot while I was in grad school, and may or may not have been responsible for converting my entire class into eating there regularly. What can I say? I can be very convincing.)
I’ve been called a cheap date because I named a food truck as my ideal spot for if someone were to take me out on a date, but no matter. :O
The ingredients they used were fresh, local and organic, and they made all sorts of healthy, delicious creations with it, offering it to the public for very affordable prices. Does it get any better than that?
For every meal that you bought from them, they would donate a meal to the local soup kitchen.
Can you see why I loved this place so much? :]
If you noticed the past tense, it’s because I don’t think they’re in operation right now (unfortunately), but back when it was, it was the only place I’d willingly spend money on while I was in grad school.
But! If you’re ever in the New Brunswick area in New Jersey, I’d like to send you on a mission to check out A Better World Cafe for me!
It’s partnered with Elijah’s Promise (the soup kitchen that Soupervan donated meals to!) in hopes to make healthy eating accessible + affordable to everyone. It reduces food waste since customers choose their own portions, offers only fair trade coffees/teas, uses biodegradable containers, and uses seasonal + locally grown ingredients. They also offer employment opportunities for low-income adults + youth! :]
I hella wanted to volunteer there when I was in grad school, but I didn’t have a car, and walking there after class wouldn’t ever have gotten me there in time for an actual shift. :[
So I’m cheering myself up by making these!
I aspire to one day recreate their entire menu, but for now, here’s my version of their Apple Nachos! <3 (If the plate is starting to look really familiar, I’m sorry, but it’s the only decorative one I have. :O )
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1-2 tbsp raisins
- 1 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tsp mini chocolate chips
- drizzle of maple syrup (optional)
- Slice up an apple and top with walnuts, raisins, coconut and chocolate chips!
- Drizzle with maple syrup, if desired.
- Colorectal cancer is the third-most common cancer in both men and women–learn more about it on Medical Mondays!
- This week’s #DishTheFit is on being present. Do you live in the moment?
- Check out my favorite restaurants in the towns that I’ve lived in! :]
- I just started a new series (Day in the Life) for my present and future rotations! First up is my first elective–I did Inpatient Family Medicine in rural WV!
Interested in getting to know more about any of your super-awesome co-hosts? :]
- Farrah | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Annmarie | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Emily | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Esther | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Cassandra | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
Join us next week for Overcoming Fears!