Welcome to our weekly Foodie Friday link up! I’m linking up with Montana from Pretty Lil Mudder, Annmarie from the Fit Foodie Mama, Emily from Whatever Floats Your Oats, Esther from Chocolate Runner Girl, and Cassandra from Powered By Bling, to create awesome healthy recipes each week! Today’s theme = Pizza Night! Make sure you hop around to check out all the amazing recipes in this link up and feel free to add your recipes as well!
Originally, I was gonna make a lightened up alfredo pizza on garlic naan, but…time got away from me, so you are instead going to see the awesomeness that is the pizza cake that I made for this year’s Friendsgiving (which we celebrated two weekends ago)! I used my cast iron skillet (affiliate link) and managed to make a 3-layer one!
Since we were all going to be in different places for actual Thanksgiving (Sean ditched us for his family, Isaac was going to have dinner with his preceptor, Mike was undecided about what he was going to be doing, and I was going to go back to living at the cat shelter), I arbitrarily decided I’d make us dinner the weekend before actual-Thanksgiving so we could all have Friendsgiving together. (This might be why Mike once referred to me as his “med school mom.” I was not pleased.) 😀 (Last year’s Friendsgiving was an Oven Roasted Autumn Medley that they all adored!)
This year, I found out about the existence of Pizza Cake from the intrawebz, and decided that we needed to have that. :O So I made a Tikka Masala Pizza Cake with a turkey bacon-stuffed crust, turkey sausage, baby bella mushrooms and shredded pepper jack cheese. :] We had Pumpkin Pie Bars for dessert, and gathered ’round to watch The Walking Dead. This recipe may not exactly be healthy, but it’s definitely been healthified (especially if you make your own dough)!
Tikka Masala Pizza Cake
- 2 cans of refrigerated pizza dough (or you can make your own!)
- 1 jar Tikka Masala sauce
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 4 slices turkey bacon, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 8 oz. turkey sausage, sliced
- shredded pepper jack cheese, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350. Unroll pizza dough and press it into an even layer. Cut out 3 circles in the size needed to fit the bottom of your pan.
- Bake the circles for ~8 minutes, then remove from pan and cool. Cut a long strip off of the remaining pizza dough (make sure it’s ~1/2 an inch taller than the height of your pan.
- Line the round pan with aluminum foil. (I used parchment paper but definitely would not recommend it) so that it comes up and over the sides of the pan. Drape the long strip of pizza dough inside the pan, lining the sides and leaving the extra 1/2-inch hanging over the edge.
- Take one of the cooked + cooled pizza dough circles and put it at the bottom of the pan. Spread with tikka masala sauce and sprinkle shredded pepper jack cheese on top. Layer with sliced mushrooms and turkey sausage.
- Follow with another pre-cooked pizza dough circle and repeat the process with this and the next one (or more, if you’re making more than 3 layers).
- Spread tikka masala sauce on top, then sprinkle again with shredded pepper jack cheese and turkey sausage.
- Use the dough hanging over the edge of the pan to create a crust by rolling it over on top of the top layer of pizza. Fold in the turkey bacon bits!
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the sides of the pizza are fully cooked! If the top of the pizza crust is getting too dark, use a strip of aluminum foil to cover it (prevents it from burning!).
- Once fully cooked, remove the pizza by pulling up on the aluminum foil. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Have you ever had a pizza cake?
- Is there a recipe you’ve seen on the internet that you’ve always wanted to try making?
Interested in getting to know more about any of your super-awesome co-hosts? :]
- Farrah | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Montana | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Annmarie | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Emily | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Esther | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Cassandra | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
Join us next week for Healthified Hot Drinks!
In addition, I won Kylie’s (@LittleMsFitness) giveaway a couple months ago for a $50 gift card to Sport Chalet, so I used it earlier last month to get myself some colder-weather workout clothes! The two of these were on sale and totaled to just under $50, so it was perfect! Sport Chalet sent my order to me very quickly, and I was super happy with both my purchases. :] Picture quality isn’t that wonderful because I’m currently working off the graces of indoor lighting and a self-timer app on my camera phone. I’ll improve on that next time around!
Polarmax Women’s Comp 4 Print Zip Mock Top – Anthracite/White (small)
- 4-Way Stretch Fabric
- Acclimate Fresh: Moisture-wicking & anti-microbial!
- Quick-drying + breathable fabric
Adidas Women’s Techfit Capri Tights in Charcoal (small)
- Medium Compression Fit
- Climalite Fabric: Moisture-wicking
- Soft, elastic anti-chafing waistband: I’m sure we can all appreciate that one >_>
- UPF 50+: Provides UVA + UVB protection factor of 50 for the skin areas covered
I’m linking up with Nicole over at Fitful Focus for the first time! :]