It’s no secret how much I adore food, right? (Just look at this post.)
A couple weeks ago, I was contacted by Shyla from KOOEE! Snacks about their new Jerky Trail Mix from KOOEE! Super Snacks, and I got the opportunity to try em’ out!
Honestly, it could not have arrived at a better time. I’m currently doing my ER rotation and my shifts are 12 hours long, so you better believe that [healthy] snacks are wildly appreciated! They do keep a snack drawer that’s fair game for any of us, but it only contains candy, which is nice, but not very healthy.
I’m taking the place of one of the students, and before he left, he advised me to win the nurses’ hearts by bringing in candy. (How well your medical team likes you can make or break you, and I need to learn all that I can!) I’m all for fostering good relations with food, but I like to make it healthy whenever possible.
You should’ve seen the nurses’ eyes light up when I admitted that although I had no candy, I did have jerky trail mix that I could share! :] (A direct quote was, “This girl knows how to make friends!”) My shift ended up being 14.5 hours long, because I wanted to see what happened to the rest of the patients that I’d been seeing with my preceptor. The nurses sent me home though because they noticed I’d been standing for most of those 14.5 hours, so I left them with a bag of the Chili Lime with Mango Jerky Trail Mix to snack on before I drove home and fell asleep instantaneously.
Here’s what you can count on from KOOEE! Jerky Trail Mixes:
As a recreational powerlifter, I’m all about the protein, so jerky is actually one of my favorite snacks of all time. Each of these packets contains 20-21g protein! There are no junk or filler ingredients (no added nitrates, preservatives, MSG or high-fructose corn syrup) in any of their products. Finding healthy trail mix can be pretty difficult sometimes too; this combines em’ into two unique and delicious flavors!
- Lime Pepper with Mango (contains 100% grass-fed beef, dried mangos, almonds, cashews, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, goji berries)
- Smoked Chipotle with Apple (contains 100% grass-fed beef, dried apples, walnuts, almonds, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, cacao nibs)
Originally, I had these stuffed in my white coat pocket because I was on my first shift and wasn’t sure if I’d have any downtime to eat, so I accidentally opened just one side and just had the jerky on its own. The smoked chipotle one was the first one I tried, and it has a nice bite to it! ;] It tastes fine on its own, but when mixed with everything else (aka after I realized the error of my ways!), the flavors they picked go perfectly with one another.
- The beef jerky is marinated in a blend of spices, organic coconut aminos, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and sea salt! You can trace where the beef comes from on their site.
- Dried fruit is often massively over-sweetened, but you won’t find that in these! They’re free of any preservatives, sulfates and added sugar!
- The raw nuts/seeds are packed with protein, nutrients, minerals and healthy fats.
- The added superfoods are rich in antioxidants, nutrients and minerals as well! :]
They’re packed into really convenient packages where you rip it open, peel down the middle, and mix it all up! You can take em’ to school, work, out on a hike, in the car for road trips, or just munch on em’ in the comfort of your own home.
If you’d like to support them as well, there are a couple days left to their kickstarter campaign! (Ends on October 30!)
Please note: I received free samples of KOOEE! Super Snacks’ Jerky Trail Mix mentioned in this post in exchange for an honest review. I was not compensated for my time.