I know it’s actually winter, but the recipe we adapted this from was way too amazing (and super festive-lookin’!) to pass up. :O The pomegranates were obtained from Mekala’s garden because she’s super awesome, so I made the lemons I took from her garden into lemon bars for her and her family. We made this salad while Rey was visiting over winter break and pretty much just kept buying arugula and acorn squash/throwing in whatever fruit we had (e.g. strawberries) over the course of the week so we could use up the rest of the dressing. <3
Autumn Arugula Salad
- 1 1/2 tbsp EVOO
- 1 acorn squash, sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds w/ seeds removed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup whole pecans, chopped
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 6 cups arugula
- 5 clementines, peeled
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 1/2 pomegranates, arils removed
(Pomegranate Ginger Vinaigrette)
- 1/3 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup EVOO
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Sprinkle the squash slices w/ salt and pepper. If desired, add brown sugar to help it caramelize. Bake until tender.
- Heat small saucepan over low heat + add the pecans. Toast until they’re slightly golden + fragrant, stirring + shaking the pan as they toast (~5 minutes). Toss w/ pumpkin pie spice.
- Add arugula to a large bowl with a pinch of salt + pepper. Add avocado, pomegranate arils, pecans and squash pieces. Add pomegranate dressing, to taste.
- (Pomegranate Ginger Vinaigrette) Combine pomegranate juice, apple cider vinegar, ginger, garlic, salt + pepper in a large bowl + whisk together. Stream in EVOO while constantly whisking until the dressing comes together. (It stores in the fridge for up to 1 week!)