I know it’s actually winter, but the recipe we adapted this from was way too amazing (and super festive-lookin’!) to pass up. :O The pomegranates were obtained from Mekala’s garden because she’s super awesome, so I made the lemons I took from her garden into lemon bars for her and her family. 😀
We made this salad while Rey was visiting over winter break and pretty much just kept buying arugula and acorn squash/throwing in whatever fruit we had (e.g. strawberries) over the course of the week so we could use up the rest of the dressing. <3
Autumn Arugula Salad
- 1 1/2 tbsp EVOO
- 1 acorn squash, sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds w/ seeds removed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup whole pecans, chopped
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 6 cups arugula
- 5 clementines, peeled
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 1/2 pomegranates, arils removed
(Pomegranate Ginger Vinaigrette)
- 1/3 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup EVOO
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Sprinkle the squash slices w/ salt and pepper. If desired, add brown sugar to help it caramelize. Bake until tender.
- Heat small saucepan over low heat + add the pecans. Toast until they’re slightly golden + fragrant, stirring + shaking the pan as they toast (~5 minutes). Toss w/ pumpkin pie spice.
- Add arugula to a large bowl with a pinch of salt + pepper. Add avocado, pomegranate arils, pecans and squash pieces. Add pomegranate dressing, to taste.
- (Pomegranate Ginger Vinaigrette) Combine pomegranate juice, apple cider vinegar, ginger, garlic, salt + pepper in a large bowl + whisk together. Stream in EVOO while constantly whisking until the dressing comes together. (It stores in the fridge for up to 1 week!)